2015 Blackwater Kata Challenge can only run if there is support from competitors who want to take part and instructors being available to oversee the training of those not taking part.
Suggested Kata categories (category is determined by highest grade of the pair even if acting as Uke) ;
Foundation Group (mixed Belts)
- Ukemi kata (this can be shown either by pairs or as a team)
- Beginners’ kata
Junior Green Belts and under
- Ukemi kata (pairs or team),
- Kuzushi – kata
- Beginners kata
- Barney’s Doo
- Free form kata – format must be presented on paper by Thursday 6th November (ie one week before the Event) In addition to the standard formal etiquette it must include at least 6 elements (no more than 12 in which case divided into 2 sets) with a smooth formal transition separating/linking each element.
Yuko-kuri-obi (Junior split black/brown Belt )
- One set of Katame-no-Kata + one set of Nage-no-kata (judoka will be expected to work out a smooth transition between the two katas NB Tori may stay the same for both sets or if tori for KNK can be Uke for NNK or vice versa)
- 3 sets Katame-no-Kata
- 3 sets Nage-no-Kata
- Free form kata – format must be presented on paper by Thursday 6th November (ie one week before the Event). In addition to the standard formal etiquette it must include 9 or 15 elements divided into 3 sets with a smooth formal transition separating/linking each element.
- Junior Black Belts will be expected to take part in the Senior Group.
Suggested Senior categories (will run during the Senior Session)
- Orange and under – judoka’s choice of kata set – with at least 5 elements
- Blue and under – candidates choice but excluding Ukemi-kata
- Brown and over – any full Kodokan Kata – Alternatively a Free Form Kata of candidates design – but format must include at least 18 techniques (divided into sets) and a written format must be included with entry form