Blackwater Judo Club (Maldon)
We are an Independent Judo Organisation – affiliated to Essex Boys and Girls Clubs.
Sensei John Pegram is the Founder of Blackwater JC and although he may only make occasional appearances on the tatami he ensures that his Blackwater instructors focus on traditional Kodokan style Judo. For insight into his stance on traditional theory, techniques and the importance of competitive judo and Kata see our Foundation, Junior and SeniorJudo Syllabus.
We meet twice a week – Saturday mornings and Thursday evenings. All Judoka pay £2.00 per session – (plus an annual license fee of £5.00 which includes third party insurance -2013).
Our mats are open to Judoka from the age of 6. Want more information click on getting started, email or visit us. We welcome visitors from any organisation, (please bring your current license as proof of your insurance). Classes are mixed ability and gender but divided into age groups so join us on either :
Thursday Evenings – At Blackwater Leisure Centre, Park Drive, Maldon, Essex CM9 5UR (01621 851898).
6:15 to 7:15 – Junior Session (ie 6 to 16).
- Foundation Class – Primary School Age children i.e. between 6 and 10. From the age of 8 Foundation Judoka are assessed for their readiness to join the Junior Mat.
- Juniors – over 8 to under 16.
- Intermediates (14 to 18) – Kata, technique and/or free randori.
- Seniors (16+) – 7:15 finish 8:30, competitive style judo training.
- Budo Group – mainly 16 + (Juniors over 14 and above Blue Belt may gain certificates but not grade)
Saturday Mornings – At West Maldon Community Centre, Sunbury Way, Mald on.
- Seniors – 16+ (unless by special agreement) – start at 9:30 am.
- Juniors (under 16) and Foundation (under 10) – 10:30 to 11.30.
Senior Judoka and higher grade Juniors are encouraged to help supervise and teach junior judoka. Senior Instructors are CRB checked.
Parents are encouraged to keep physically and mentally fit by ‘helping with the mats’ and training to become Time Keepers and Recorders.
Judo spirit never dies, but may need a change of direction. If you have retired from judo (or any other martial art) and want to get back on the mat then join us but please let us know your previous level of experience and any injuries you may have.
Want to start judo? You might not be the next Olympic champion but all ages and level of fitness can safely enjoy judo if you are prepared to work and play sensibly. To find out if you could ‘do judo’ come along for a chat or to watch a training session.